Saturday, June 23, 2007

Is it hard to be a Muslim in the US?

I know nobody thinks it is easy. There is all those stereotypes, racial profiling, ignorance, biased media coverage, etc. And I totally agree with that. But, can anybody show me a place on earth, where it is easy to be a Muslim? Here is my opinion. I think, it is hard to be a Muslim everywhere in the world today, and to be honest, comparatively speaking; US is the easiest place to be one. You can be a Muslim, without the traditional biases of your countries, without the fear of secular radicals and without the hypocritical group psychology under self-assigned religious leaders. You can believe in Islam, practice your religion and be a perfect Muslim easily, in the US. The only catch is to be looked down upon, to be a suspect by default, and even sometimes to get some hateful remarks or stares. Personally, I find those very easy to handle. And hey, nobody said it would be easy to start with, anyway.

In fact, I would have doubts about the truth ness of my belief, if it was so easy to be a believer. Look at history! Was it ever easy to be a follower of the truth? It wasn’t easy to be a Jew, when Moses first brought the message. Jesus had to deal with crucifixion plots. Speaking the truth cost a lot of prophets their lives or homes. So, if there is anybody out there, contemplating on becoming a Muslim, they should not expect it to be a piece of cake. If you want something easy, something more easily acceptable by society, something that doesn’t feel threatening to any kind of tyrant, dictator or unjust ruler, I would suggest you become an atheist, a Taoist, a secular, an agnostic or even a Budhist. Sufism might also not be too bad, although being a Muslim sufi doesn’t have any perks.


Personally, I never really have a problem with people who look down on me. God knows what passes through people's minds when they see a Muslim. Well, I couldn't care less... If somebody looks at you and thinks you might be a terrorist, too bad... I actually feel bad for those people because they have to live with that paranoia for nothing. If they look at you and think you are poor girl, who is being oppressed, it is their problem. While they feel bad and try to save you from oppression, you can enjoy your life and freedom as a liberated woman, who doesn’t have to bow down to fashion guidelines and attractive “Cover Girl” standards today’s society (namely men) dictate women. Hateful remarks are actually the easiest to handle, because as the saying goes, “the dog may keep barking, as the caravan keeps proceeding” (which, I know, doesn’t make as much sense in English, but you get the point).

If people are unfair to you because of their ignorance about your faith why should that make you feel bad? If they are ignorant, it is sad... for them… They are hostile, because they don’t know. You always fear what you don’t know, that is natural. It happens to most humans...

Yet... If they were hostile even though they knew, now THAT would hurt.

2 comments:

Naeem: said...

Salaam,

What you say is right, but only presents a portion of the picture. Muslims in the West may not be exposed to physical attacks and other tangible difficulties, but the more dangerous moral and spiritual attacks are present at every corner. Which is harder to live with?

Also, bias, racial profiling, and prejudices will quickly turn to more intense hostility if and when Muslims begin calling for true justice. Our current presence in the US is parallel to other minorities who are too happy to assimilate into the melting pot.

If we ever decide to rock the boat like Moses or Jesus, we will longingly look back to the easy days of stereotypes and racial profiling.

WA-
Naeem

T^2 said...

Well, I totally agree with you that it is not easy to be exposed to spritual and moral attacks. It is definitely not justice. But, comparing it to what kind of pressure and humiliation you are exposed to in some countries, I find it easier to be in the US. Of course, if I had family, children, etc, I am sure it would become harder to establish the strength in every individual in the family to resist the moral pressures. For now, I have been speaking for myself and comparatively... Prejudice and injustice in my country hurt so much that I can't even complain in the US!

But, in no way do I mean we should just submit to the pressure. No matter how mild it may seem, I think Muslims should use all legal means to seek justice. Hostility will never stop but injustice has to...